Monday, September 29, 2008

Obsession: The Oregonian Distributes Racist Anti-Muslim DVD as Advertisement



This last Sunday, my local paper distributed a DVD of "Obsession: Racial Islam's War Against the West inside of each of their papers. The trailer for this film is embedded above and you can watch it in its entirety on YouTube. If you watch it, you'll find what the American Muslim calls "hateful propaganda." According to the American Muslim, "The effect of Obsession is to produce anxiety, mistrust, and deep unease in the average American viewer about the presence, activities and attitudes of millions of their fellow Muslim American citizens. Obsession presents a mirror-image of Osama bin Laden’s world view, in which all conflicts involving Muslims are fronts in a global crusade. The film’s assertions are both a-historical and absurd, revealing a mindset of reductionism, chauvinism and paranoia." You can find a very helpful analysis of the film on their website, here, but I think that most of you will be able to clearly see the misinformation and hatred for yoursef.

Here in Oregonian a group called the Good Faith Coaltion has been organizing a response. They held a demonstration at which State Senator Avel Gordly said to Oregonian publisher Fred Stickel: “I also want to say to Fred Stickel, and I consider Fred Stickel to be a friend. You’ve made a mistake. There is a place for an apology...and I want to say to all of you, take your DVD and send it back to The Oregonian.”

The Good Faith Coalition is also asking people to call the Oregonian. I called them today and was forward to a comment line that they've set up for this issue specifically. I'd encorage all of you to do the same. I'm really not sure which number is the best to use, but you can call the publisher at 503-221-8140. I'm sure they will forward you to the comment line.

If you don't live in Oregon, you may in the future. Obsession is being distrubting battleground states across the country, 26 million copies total. I can't see to find a list of what papers have carried it, so keep your eyes open.

I have to say that I'm so disappointed that we are still at a place where businesses are willing distribute slander against people who are our neighbors and friends. Fear tactics may be powerful, but they are easy to spot and we can all help to render them ineffective.

No comments: