Saturday, December 13, 2008

So, I'm writing a novel set in Palestine. Yes, I might be crazy for attempting this, but I am. And I have a question and I figure some of you might know the answer:

When a Palestinian gets a permit, say to travel from Bethlehem to Jerusalem for one day, does said Palestinian recieve a little piece of paper that is his/her permit? Is it stored on file with the Israeli Army? Both? Something else?

I'm really kind of surprised that I don't know the answer to this question, but I don't. And one of you must.

Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joy, have you ever heard of a book called Wild Thorns by Sahar Khalifeh? It's a novel about life in Occupied Palestine. you can get it on Amazon and I also bet Powell's has it cheap if you want to look. It might be a good source of inspiration.

good luck with the novel! if you ever want to publish it serially I would be really interested in having that in the zine.

j_in_palestine said...

I haven't. I'll have to read it. Thanks. I'm also really interested in "Where the Streets Had a Name," which is a new young adult novel that electronic intifada just reviewed.

I will def. think seriously about having excerpts published in the zine. That would be fabulous. But I'm no where near being ready for that. :-)

Anonymous said...

are you sure you should be writing a novel set in Palestine if you don't know this?