Thursday, June 03, 2010

Let's not cry tonight

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've cried more than once since the attack on the flotilla. It's really easy to get sucked into a cycle of impotently pounding the keyboard and clicking my browser's "refresh" button. For me, time for that to stop.

There are already some bright lights coming out of this. First, Ecuador recalled it's ambassador to Israel. South Africa is to follow. Egypt has opened up the Rafa crossing (!) Finally, and I find this very moving, the students of Evergreen State College, Rachel Corrie's alma mater, voted by 79.5% to divest from Israel.

We've got to keep telling the story and keep organizing, but let's not cry tonight. That's the refrain of an Outlandish song that's been running through my head, thanks to my friend Ma'ia

No comments: