Wednesday, May 03, 2006

New Feature! Occupied Voices: Palestinian Bloggers Of Note

When I am in Palestine, I'm always asked by the people I meet to share their stories with my country, the country that is funding the occupation of their land. And I do by best to do just that. But I can really only share my own story - my experiences, which as an American are so different from those of any Palestinian. And my story isn't what is important. Whenever possible, I want to share the voices of Palestinians themselves, unfiltered.

So do to so, I'm starting a new feature here at "I Saw it in Palestine." Every week, I'll be advertising a Palestinian blogger or website that I think it worth reading. And to kick this off, let me tell you about my favorite blog. I was lucky enough to come across "Raising Yousuf: a diary of a mother under occupation." Check it out: http://a-mother-from-gaza.blogspot.com/

"Raising Yousuf" is lovely, entertaining, and insightful blog that is an informative and very enjoyable read. The author, Laila El-Haddad, calls herself a "Journalist, mom, occupied Palestinian-all packed into one," and blogs about the experiences of her and her son, Yousuf, as they navigate daily life under occupation. Laila blogs from Gaza and has helped me to learn more about the situation there, which is so rarely reported, among both the mainstream Western media and human right activists like myself.

So, check out "Raising Yousuf." You'll enjoy it. http://a-mother-from-gaza.blogspot.com/

No comments: