Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Susiya Attacks Follow-Up

Thanks to everyone whose sent links to articles about Susiya. We're happily baffled - we can't figure out why this has gotten so much coverage. You can see video of the attack here and video testimony here. Here are a few of the article that have come out in English language papers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/world/middleeast/24settlers.html?_r=1&ref=world&oref=slogin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7458926.stm

There's a crucial follow-up story to this incident, however, that's gone unreported. Our friend Nassar who works for B'tselem, an Israeli human rights organization, was filming with a B'tselem camera a soldier struck him in the face and then commenced to destroy his tape. You'll have to forgive me, I really don't remember the date of this attack and I'm not near anyone whom I can ask.

Attacks like this seem to increase when settlers are feeling the sting of being held responsible for their actions. 2 people, I understand, have been arrested now for the attack in Susiya. Since then, we've been seeing more harassment from the Israeli army and settlers than usual. A shepherd from Magher Al Abeed have been has had a string of close-calls over the last week. It just breaks my heart and, honestly, makes me angry.

That's all for now.

No comments: